Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Movies that make you eerie/ creepy

Movies can definitely affect emotion. Some movies make you happy, some make you sad, some make you…. creepy. It’s unique how movies can get you creepy… I’m not sure if everybody experience that, but having that feeling is very strange. It can’t be expressed in words. Everybody has his own personal experience. A movie that gets me creepy might not cause the same to you, and otherwise.
Having that feeling is different from having goose bump. Again, I can’t express the difference in words. One thing I could say about goose bump is that such sensation disappears once the movie scene is over. It is very short term. But creepy.... or eerie feeling does not necessarily give you goose bump, the feeling creeps on you during the show, and sometimes even after the movie is finished. It stays on you longer, and even if you see the movie poster months after you saw the movie, it gets you uneasy.
Below are some movies that actually got me that eerie feeling while watching. That feeling stays until now, even in a lighter scale.

NO. 1
Interview with Vampire.

















Watched this movie with my family when I was on the fifth or sixth grade. We watched it in Pluit Plaza cinema on Saturday night (well, that cinema does no longer exist). I was under age to watch this movie at that time. However, I watched many horror films anyway, so I thought it’d be pretty much the same.

This movie turned out very very dark. I’d say it’s quite scary, but more than that, it was depressing and frustrating at the same time.

From when Brad Pitt was turned into vampire, to when Kirsten Dunst cut her hair but kept growing, and Tom Cruise’s wrist was cut with his blood streaming down to the floor, I thought this movie had given enough.

(This is Kirsten Dunst, she cut her hair but kept growing instantly)
Creepy level: Moderate










But the creepiness went even deeper when the young Kirsten Dunst brought a lady and asked Brad Pitt to turn that lady into vampire for her companion. The way Kirsten asked Brad Pitt was as if she’s asking Pitt to buy her a doll to play with! If that’s not creepy, I don’t know what term to use to describe it.
There's a single scene which can’t get erased from my memory, it was when Kirsten Dunst and a young lady were imprisoned in a chamber with an open roof. When morning came, sunshine burned and turned them to ashes, it was shown literally and visually. It’s so depressing. Everytime I see the movie poster in DVD stores, that scene reappears on my mind.

The ladies are burned by sun and turned to ash while holding each other. Look at the lady's expression... she still got it
Creepy level: Very high














I left home with a lot of thoughts on that movie. I was still thinking how people (vampires) can be burned to ash like that. I was thinking the immortality of the characters. I was thinking what the vampires were doing if they’re still alive. I was thinking how lucky they were to experience the modernization, to see the civilization changed over hundreds of years, but how unfortunate they were that they lost their loved ones behind… and outlived them…

Those thoughts were circling in mind until I went asleep that Saturday night.

By the way, Antonio Banderas was in the movie too...















Pitt was not so famous back then. If today we have a movie where Cruise and Pitt are starring together, it would be a super box office...
These are them preying for fresh blood.

















NO. 2
Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein (Robert de Niro and Kenneth Branagh)

















I even forgot how I ended up watching this movie in cinema. I suppose I read the review in Kompas newspaper, then I was attracted to the story line. I had no idea who Robert de Niro was, not to mention Kenneth Branagh. I didn’t even know Mary Shelley was the author of the novel. In fact, I didn’t even know it was based on the novel at all. I thought that Marry Shelley was a character played by Kenneth Branagh, and he/she created Frankenstein (yes, I thought the creature’s name was Frankenstein, only later than I learned that it’s the name of the creator)

Initially, I only had image of this Frankenstein’ creature mind:
Creepy level: Very very low












This Frankenstein’ creature is often mocked in cartoon films. It’s far from scary.

This is Robert De Niro... on his normal days.. off course.
Creepy level: None
















This De Niro as the creature....
Creepy level: Very high (you should watch the movie yourself to feel it)












De Niro’s creature brings a lot of emotion into the film. You’ll hate the creature for disturbing Frankenstein, the supposedly protagonist of the movie. You’ll hate him for chasing Frankenstein’s wife and killed her (the creature shows her ripped heart to Frankenstein after the killing). You’ll think what he did was totally inhuman and insane. But at one point, you’ll understand that he is not a human being after all. He is created. He has no moral standard, no conscience and we can’t blame him for not having them. Then you’ll think reversely, that Frankenstein is actually the antagonist, he’s the immoral man who created such creature and gave it a life and that Frankenstein deserves to be punished. A turning point occurred when you actually felt empathy toward the creature, it happened when it learned to speak like human.

This movie will mix your feeling and it will leave you wondering who’s actually good and bad and will even question yourself if we can judge wisely.

This movie got a heavy eerie atmosphere. The music, the colour and the look of the movie were as if it’s in dark ages. When Frankenstein created the creature, he assembled many body parts from dead bodies, stitched them one by one. It was shown on screen. It’s not something that you’ll forget once you finished watching.


NO. 3
Tales from The Crypt: Demon Knight


















Two things that make this movie creepy:

1. Billy Zane
When I watched Titanic (Leonardo's version), I recognized Billy Zane from Tales from The Crypt.
He has that psychotic look that you makes you aware that there's something wrong with this guy's personality, only you that you can't tell which.

Look at this picture below. From that look on his eyes, you'll realize something is wrong with this guy...
If you still think he's just fine, buy the DVD and watch it yourself...













2. The background story.
This movie elaborated its story back to when Jesus was crucified.
It was disturbing for me imagining a fact that blood of Jesus was kept and handed down from one generation to the next for 2,000 years.

3. The Crypt Keeper
In the movie, this creature is actually alive and tried a career as a film director...
He even attended his movie premier...

This is him walking on red carpet attending a premiere... the fiction character suddenly jumped into real life... ergggh....








4. Location.
It's about a group of people staying in a motel. Out of nowhere, a group of monsters comes to devour them all. The motel is in a remote location surrounded by nothing.
It simply adds up the level of desperate and hopelessness... really makes me uneasy..
Not a movie you'll want to watch again...


No comments: